Friday, December 30, 2016

Emka : The GAZ M1 (Part 1)

The GAZ M1 is a true classic of the soviet automobile industry. Its serial production at the “Gorky Automoble Plant” started in March 1936. During the next seven years of production, the plant released nearly 63.000 samples of the model M1. In fact, the M1 is the copy of the American Ford V8 only slightly adapted for soviet roads. During the war, in many soviet regions, these vehicles were the sole means of transport for the communication between cities and settlements.





The car introduced in this article arrived in the Soviet Armenia before the Second World War. Initially, along with other five similar cars, it was serving the visitors of the capital, mainly the guests of the “Intourist” hotel.  The “Emkas” can be seen almost in all old photographs of this part of the city, on the Astafiev Street, at the entrance of the “Intourist” hotel. Unfortunately, the fate of the other five cars is unknown to us, but the one we managed to find, has a very interesting history.
After many years of exploitation as a taxi, this car became so much worn out, that it was discarded by the city authorities, after which it became the property of Vanik, its driver, who was a famous driver in the city and  perfectly familiar with the technical part of the car. After a complete overhaul, the car was back on the wheels travelling around the city.
To be continued...